Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sorry Susan

"Dame Susan Devoy says her testimonial for broadcaster Tony Veitch – splashed across newspapers today – was for an application to return his passport, not to support him in a court sentencing.
"I feel misled," the squash legend said this morning."


"I honestly wrote my testimonial in the belief it was to support an application from Tony to get his passport back for the possibility of a job opportunity," she told Radio Live.
She had written it because she believed Veitch, whom she knew and whose stepmother was a close friend, deserved a chance to work again.
"I mean we can't ostracise him for the rest of his life. But it is a different kettle of fish when you are writing a letter of support of someone coming up for sentencing.
"And I know that because I have written a letter recently for someone who is actually serving 10 years and six months for something probably a lot less than what Tony has done."
She said she would not necessarily have refused to provide a testimonial for his sentencing."


I am pleased that this has been clarified and I totally retract my comments about not respecting Susan. I feel a new measure of respect for her, it cannot be easy getting mixed up in this sorry tale.

Once again, sorry Susan .

No comments: